Thursday, March 18, 2010

Fire Gardening




Here is another handy hint. We were shown this by the long Swede in the second pic. You need a dry day-which today was. Then you get a match, and set fire to your garden. All the dry bits flare up and burn. No mowing or strimming required. Just raking to move the burning parts around. There's a constant crackling as the fire travels about, doing it's business. Then it hit the bay tree. There was a huge roar and wooosh as the tree turned into a firework, throwing flames and smoke up into the air. It was incredibly noisy. Then just as suddenly, the fire moved on, leaving the tree intact. It had passed up through the centre of the tree, burning only the dead leaves and sticks. Phew. 'I knew that would hoppen' said our inscrutable friend. Hmmmm....I hadn't realised before how terrifying the noise of an approaching fire could be. Or how rejuvenating fire can be. Marvellous! I don't know why we never thought of setting fire to the garden back in England....

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
I've lived with my partner in Normandy, France, for about four years now. There's lots I love about our lives here-including our beautiful surroundings-but I also miss my wonderful children and grandchildren who are back in the UK. I trained as a hypnotherapist originally in the UK and am now registered for this in France, I also like making (and hopefully selling) some jewellery.