Saturday, July 18, 2009

Chickens and ducks





At last! We have our poultry. Their accommodation is rated by oeuf rankings rather than etoiles. M's sterling efforts have given us 'cinq oeufs' out of the maximum sept. The only things we are missing are radio (to help them get accustomed to human voice) and warm air heating. We have two brown chickens and two white ones. I talk to them all the time. I have yet to identify their breeds from the chicken book. So far, there's been no fighting or quibbling at all. We also bought two little ducks and we can't wait to see them venture outside to find the pond M has made specially for them. This pond replenishes itself with water from the guttering system which runs along the roof of the chicken shed, the pipe also doubling up as a further perch. M also created an soakaway for the pond-thank goodness, since it's been raining solidly here for the last couple of days. And we even have our first egg!!! We are both being very polite about who should be the first to eat it. Given that it's arrived so early, it will have been "en-vent" so to speak as we bought the birds It's likely to be a while til the chooks have settled in well enough to start laying properly. But aren't they lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
I've lived with my partner in Normandy, France, for about four years now. There's lots I love about our lives here-including our beautiful surroundings-but I also miss my wonderful children and grandchildren who are back in the UK. I trained as a hypnotherapist originally in the UK and am now registered for this in France, I also like making (and hopefully selling) some jewellery.