Sunday, March 29, 2009

Simple Pleasures



The (unfinished) shelves shown here have been made by M-they're set into an alcove-there's one of these alcoves on either side of the fireplace, and he's made shelves in each, and lit them. This may seem simple, but it's been a bit of a fiddle since they've had to have the wiring fitted, and buried in the wall, then been lined with wood since the walls weren't straight. I had said to myself that i wouldn't put anything on them til the kitchen was finished but I've broken the rule for these two things. The bowl was given to us today by our Swedish friend Pele-it was made by his Dad. The wooden bird sitting beside it was carved by my son. How good is that? All those things given, or made by, someone I know and care for. Under these shelves on this side, is a little wine rack. This seemed a good idea at the time-but I now realise that if you have one of these, then you have to also have the wherewithal to put a least a few bottles of wine in it-and then have the self-discipline not to just drink them because they are there. Since then, obviously, you'd just have to go and buy more, and the whole cycle would just go round and round. So I might consider filling some of our 'empties' with dark-coloured water-or perhaps vinegar-and then try and find a way of re-sealing them. Then I'd have to think of some way of subtly distinguishing them from the 'real' bottles. Although the wine here can be spectacularly cheap-if a little unpalatable on occasion-so that would probably do just as well.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you could just use the rack as another art installation opportunity. Some empty bottles with multicoloured liquid, interesting bottles found on the beach, bottles with pictures painted on etc. I like the idea of filling with vinegar...if only I could do something similar with ben's stella cans, and give him a nasty surprise!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
I've lived with my partner in Normandy, France, for about four years now. There's lots I love about our lives here-including our beautiful surroundings-but I also miss my wonderful children and grandchildren who are back in the UK. I trained as a hypnotherapist originally in the UK and am now registered for this in France, I also like making (and hopefully selling) some jewellery.