Thursday, April 9, 2009

Marmalade




I made Marmalade on Monday. I've made jam before but not marmalade. it was a bit of a faff because you have to chop up all the peel and get all the pith off and so forth. But the french don''t really eat marmalade so you have to buy it as an English speciality sort of thing-and it costs over 4 euros a jar which is silly money. it's OK doing the faffy bit if you have a good radio programme on at the time. I was a bit worried about the 'set' since I used a jam thermometer for the first time-before now, I've always gone by the 'saucer' test, and my own personal boredom threshold. With the thermometer, the impression given is that you should take it off the boil immediately once it reaches the stated temperature. if I'd done that, it would still have been completely runny. So there clearly is still an element of judgement to it-which is a pleasing thing. I got 8 jars of grapefuit marmalade out of it for very little money. The funny thing is, I can't stand marmalade myself-but M loves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Followers

About Me

My photo
I've lived with my partner in Normandy, France, for about four years now. There's lots I love about our lives here-including our beautiful surroundings-but I also miss my wonderful children and grandchildren who are back in the UK. I trained as a hypnotherapist originally in the UK and am now registered for this in France, I also like making (and hopefully selling) some jewellery.